Fixing an F53 on a Miele washing machine

bushes.png

If you search the internet for “miele washing machine f53” you may get an answer saying that this means the speed sensor, motor, or PCB are faulty. As these together comprise almost half of the machine, you would have to dispose of it and purchase a new machine. I even found one chap unhelpfully quoting it back to a questioner and getting shown that he’d found it via Google. There may be a simple issue which doesn’t involve such drastic maintenance: if the symptoms of your “F53 Technical Error” on your Miele machine include some of the below then consider looking at the carbon brushes on the motor.

  • the machine is a number of years old
  • the F53 occurs at the point in the cycle when the drum would start to rotate
  • no maintenance has been done on the motor
  • the machine is relatively well used, say 2-3 loads per day

These brushes are a part that is expected to wear and when they do the motor cannot rotate the drum, which leads the speed sensor to think something is wrong and show the error. The photo attached shows the brushes from our machine and you’ll notice that one is shiny while the other is rough. The rough one wore out some time back while the other kept going, then it also reached the limit of the backing spring and could not contact the armature. No contact = no electricity = no motor movement.

We decided to take a chance and ordered replacement parts rather than the full motor, and having found a good Youtube video explaining how these were fitted we undertook the job ourselves. We didn’t even take the motor out of the body as it is accessible by removing the front panel. Once done correctly the motor whirred into life and we’re back washing. A win for DIY and a little hard work.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Fixing an F53 on a Miele washing machine

    1. Hi, just wanted to say this was a nice writeup. I had the same problem and also replaced my machine’s brushes. As yours did, it went right back to work, but a few months later another F53 error stopped it again. Motor and tach sensor were just fine though. The problem in this 2nd F53 event was in the control board, which I finally tracked down to a relay module (DPDT) – that controlled the motors spin direction, and which had gone bad. Running the U6 test for the motor revealed that it would spin in one direction, but sat idle when trying to spin the opposite direction.

      I believe that as the original brushes wore out, they caused arching in the relay contacts and caused it to fail early. Replacing this relay with a new one fixed the washer yet one more time and we are back in business.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s