Struggling to read my weather station data

I’ve been struggling to read my weather station data on anything except the devices’ own standard displays.  For my weather station, a Maplin N96FY this means a USB A-to-A cable into the LCD display and using the excellent pywws Python code from Jim Easterbrook to load the data.  Once off the serial port on my Beaglebone Black SBC it is handled by NodeRED.

But I want to do more.  I would like to read it using a common array of antennas rather than the complex client head-ends for the weather stations and home monitoring systems.  My electricity is monitored by a CurrentCost device, the EnviR which is good but I don’t need a LCD display, so catching the C2 protocol and reading this would also be good.

My problems have arisen because I don’t know if my weather station is OOK or FSK, and I can’t seem to read either using the JeeLink USB stick I have which has a HopeRF RFM69CW chip on them (which should be pin-compatible with a RFM12B).  But nary a poke out of them yet other than the excellent nrfmon program of which you see below.  But so far none of the FSK or OOK scanners I have used have seen any of the signals, not helped by them using the RFM12B libraries and mostly the 868MHz range instead of the 433.92MHz ISM band my weather station uses.

Advertisements

Fixing an F53 on a Miele washing machine

bushes.png

Google search doesn’t always get it correct.  If you search for “miele washing machine f53” you may get an answer saying that this means the speed sensor/motor/pcb are faulty … which is almost half of the machine, so throw it out and start again.  I even found one chap unhelpfully quoting it back to a questioner and getting pointed out that he’d found it on google. No that isn’t an answer, as there may be a simple issue which doesn’t involve such heart surgery.

If the symptoms of your “F53 Technical Error” on your Miele machine include some of the below:

  • the machine is a number of years old (ie. it is relatively well used)
  • the F53 occurs at the point in the cycle the drum would start to move
  • no maintenance has been done on the motor
  • you use it a lot!  (we wash about 3-4 loads per day)

… then consider looking at the carbon brushes on the motor.  These are a part which is expected to wear and when they do the motor cannot rotate the drum, which means the speed sensor thinks something is wrong and throws the error.

Take a look at the photo above, it shows the brushes from our machine and one thing you’ll notice is that one is shiny, one isn’t.  The rough one wore out some time back and the other kept going but it also reached the limit of the backing spring and could not contact the armature.  No contact = no electricity = no motor movement.

We decided to take a chance and ordered replacement parts rather than the full motor, and having found a good Youtube video explaining how these were fitted we undertook the job ourselves.  We even forgot to push the rod inwards after fitting them, but once done correctly the motor whirred into life and we’re back washing 3-4 loads per day. A win for DIY and a little hard work.